A Christian Education
– A Life-long Process
St. Paul provides educational opportunities for people of all ages beginning with 3-year olds in a pre-school Sunday School class.
Here are the many learning opportunities available at our church:
Sunday Church School & Adult Forum
Sundays 9:40 to 10:40 am
There is no Sunday School during the summer.
Sunday school will resume after Labor Day.
Sunday Church School provides classes for students 3-years-old through high school-age. Classes are taught by members of St. Paul who volunteer their time and talent. The curriculum is taken from the recommended Evangelical Lutheran Church in America yearly study. Students adopt social service projects, helping those in need.
Our Adult Forum meets on Sunday mornings to discuss a variety of topics, through a biblical approach and a Lutheran look at ourselves and our world.
- Adult Study
A variety of programs are available throughout the year – on Monday nights at 7pm and Tuesday mornings at 9:30. Topics vary and often include video-enhanced instruction.
- Church Library
Books and video tapes about church and faith are available for use by congregation members and friends.
- First Communion
Instruction in First Communion is offered to children in grades 2-5. Classes are scheduled on four Sundays (6:30 – 8 pm), one each month, from January through April. First Communion is celebrated in May during worship service. Parents attend the classes with their children.
Confirmation marks the completion of a two-year period of instruction in the Christian faith, beginning in 8th grade, and underscores God’s action in one’s baptism.
Tuesday nights, September through June, are set aside for Confirmation classes. Students are confirmed in October of their 10th grade year.
- Vacation Bible School
Vacation Bible School is a relaxed, fun thematic way to learn about God, Jesus and the Bible. Children learn the Good News through storytelling, arts and crafts, music, drama, and classroom time.
In June, 60+ volunteers provide innovative learning experiences for children ages 4 to 11 during the first week.
- Youth Ministry
A special youth ministry program involves 6th through 12th graders. See our Youth Ministry page for more details.
- Music Ministry
Our Music Program enables children through adults to praise God through musical instruction and performance. See our Music page for more details.
- Seasonal Events
Throughout the year, the Education Ministry Team provides learning experiences with a hands-on approach.
- Rally Day in September welcomes everyone back to Sunday School, with a picnic on the church grounds. Music, presentations, readings, games and food are part of the day.
- An intergenerational Advent Workshop prepares us for Christ’s birth. Children and adults gather for arts and crafts, making chrismons (ornaments) for the tree, advent wreaths and candles, and manger scenes with clay, wood, fabric and all sorts of organic materials.
- A Christmas Pageant, enjoyed by all and performed by our Sunday School children, tells the story about Jesus’ birth in Bethlehem. See calendar.
- Our Lenten Workshop provides a quiet, contemplative look at the 40 days preceding Holy Week and Christ’s death on the cross.
- Special Programs
- Our Christian Education program includes special workshops and discussions about current topics of interest – including parenting and will planning.
- Workshops, assemblies, and gatherings - As a member of the New Jersey Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, we’re invited to participate in workshops, assemblies, and gatherings across New Jersey and the United States.